Red Lentil and Tomato Soup
Preparation 10 minutes, plus cooking | Serves 6
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large red chilli halved
- 750ml chicken stock (we suggest Maggie Beer Chicken stock)
- 2 cans 400g whole tomatoes
- 375g red lentils (rinsed and drained)
- Oil for cooking
- Natural unsweetened yoghurt to taste, we suggest Country Valley yoghurt
- Handful of coriander leaves chopped
- Bread or flatbread, toasted to serve
Heat rice bran oil or other lightly flavoured oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft, add garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes. Add spices add cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
Add lentils, chicken stock, chilli and tomatoes. Bring to boil, reduce to low boil and cook until lentils are soft stirring occasionally. Add extra water if necessary if soup becomes too thick.
Remove from heat, cool slightly and puree using a bamix or food processor, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Return to heat until hot, plate in a bowl add a good dollop of yoghurt, add a sprinkle of coriander and serve with bread.